Eye in the Sky

Your Flying News Notice Board
Send me your news .... and photos.

Put your fingers to your keyboards and get typing!  Hang glider pilots too!
May 2003 - Part II


Saturday 31st May 2003

Report from Alastair Florence

    Due to domestic commitments AM and late PM I were a little restricted for time available for flying. 
    As soon as I could I went to Knitson, the wind was light at first but, after some foggy clag passed over, things freshened up quite a bit. The air was absolutely horrible. really uneven unpredictable and rough. I spent nearly all my airtime fighting with the wing. "Why stay?" you might ask. I did not have time to get to White Horse and Kimmeridge still looked claggy from Knitson, also I wanted to brush up my active flying and this seemed like a good day for it.
    I tried a ridge run to Corfe, but the further West I went the more Westerly the wind seemed, and at Tabbits Hill I gave up and walked back. 
    Then tried to run East and hit some strong sink and compression beyond the bowl so that one ended too. 
    Still I managed 1 1/2 hrs without a tuck so maybe the Active Flying practice is paying off. 
    After barbecueing with the family I went up to Kimmeridge around 2000hrs. It was still surprisingly strong but incredibly smooth. Flew till 2100hrs. Most of the time just hanging at around 180 ft ato, very little penetration but so smooth it was comfortable.

Report from Dave Daniels

    I contemplated Portland East - but the traffic in Weymouth put pay to that idea.
    I remember as a child
(Yes! I can remember all that time ago!) that for some totally obscure reason when out in the car (these existed too!) and seeing a white horse (of the walking/ crapping variety) my mother would say "White Horse, White Horse, Bring me luck!". Driving up the track to OUR White Horse yesterday I found myself saying these words under my breath. (Senility is but a few year away!)
    The wind was smack on the hill when Russell W, John T and I arrived, ZZ soon after - but just a tad too light and insufficient thermal activity to make staying up any fun - or in ZZ and my case - a possibility.
(Note to those that like to keep their wings pristine - the gorse that was "burnt off" last year - but still stands - draws the neatest abstract cave art drawings on your wing!)
    Soon after one could see a band of sea fog out to sea
(where else would it be?), Ringstead had vanished in the orographic cloud and the Portland fog horn was hooting it's dreary tune.
    As this band was approaching, Damian S arrived, as did Jeremy M and Alan B, Sean L and Kris B - and everyone was scratching a flight - me comparing the old Electron to the new Vibe. I'm a tad over-weight on the Vibe
(strategic purchase to encourage reduction!) so in the light conditions the Electron was winning.
    The fog horn ceased it's wailing long before the clear air it heralded reached us at about 12:30 - but when it did, the wind strengthened and went a little SW but the sun soon had the thermals up and lively with some enjoyable flying for the rest of the afternoon.
    Keith W, Robert P, Ian O and Peter R were amongst others that turned out for some fun in winds that were reaching almost 20mph on the hill - but if you ARE going to be dragged - there's nowhere safer than White Horse. The strong-wind launching skills of many people (me too!) were much improved by the end of the day.
    A lone red wing at Ringstead lured ZZ and Keith who reported similar winds there - and were soon seen joining the red wing
    Gradually other commitments (Mainly bbqs to which I was not invited! Bad form!) drew others away, with Jeff D arriving late in the afternoon. Still red-ribbon the conditions were not exactly friendly, but - with a little assistance - he too was soon in the air for a 15 min flight.
    Kris eventually left - having spent what must have been some 4 hours in the air (only broken briefly at about 2h30m for water exchange!) on the demo Atis which he seemed to be enjoying immensely being seen at every extremity of the White Horse sky and rarely low!
    Jeff contemplated a second flight for a while - encouraged by Kris's final minutes in the air - and noticing that the wind had very slightly eased he and I had a superb flight with everything lifting in the valley providing us with oodles  of height (measured on my oodlometer - being too lazy to walk back to the car and get my vario!) in smooth air giving us both some 20 minutes of easy flying and landing at only a little before 7:00pm.
    What a great day it was from something that had promised nothing! Perhaps "mother's little ditty" will be said more loudly next time?

Monday 26th May 2003

Report from Sean Lovatt

    Rang the ever helpful David D. for directions to Bulbarrow.
    Launched into a slow climb at 11 am which drifted NE as far as the valley behind Bell. Glided to a nice cloud at 2000 ft ato just north of Blandford. Drifted with this for about 15k tracking the A354. Left on a flat out glide and got a low save over Martin at 500 ft agl
(That's a village, not a person. Learn something every day! DD).
    Back to base and a glide to Hamington, finding the strongest thermal of the day at 800 ft/min which went to 3000ft ato above Salisbury Cathedral (photos being developed). Spiralled off 2000ft to land by the River Wyle amongst amazed bank holiday picnickers for much needed ice cream and 44km!.
(.... where he had reached the edge of his map. So much for the previous evening's detailed XC planning! :)  DD)

Report from Andy Dawson

    Andy D, arriving late at Bullbarrow, found out why it has such a bad reputation. Even at some height above the centre of the bowl he found rough air. Dave M reckoned that the major collapse he experienced left only three cells inflated. All Andy remembers is kissing the ground when he landed and very grateful he was flying a 1/2. Come to think of it... last time he flew Bulbarrow he got a trashing and swore he wouldn't fly his 2/3 again!.

Report from Sean Staines

    A great days flying at Kimmeridge.
    Arrived quite late - at about 10:40 - to see a confetti of paragliders in the air. Always a good sign. 
    When we got to the top of the hill saw Gary Puhl packing away the XXX which was a bit disconcerting but the very unstable air was quite good fun once you got used to it, and I had a few climbs to >500ft above take off. 
    Had a chat with Martin Hayward about St Aldhelms head and how to get there. He suggested a direct glide to the big cliff before Chapman's Pool rather than dropping down onto the coast below the tumulus. This makes a lot of sense because the ridge there provides plenty of safe opt-outs.
    I gained about 100ft above the Tumulus and set off on a glide arriving high enough up on the big cliff to climb up it and gain about 150ft above the top. Another glide took me to the take off at St Aldhelms at about 50ft above the cliffs. I soared up and down for a while going all the way to the Chapel at St Aldhelms head. 
    After a while I started to feel lonely so decided to go back to Kimmeridge. I flew across the bay to join the cliff above the beach having seen a seagull there. When I arrived the cliff wasn’t working (too far out of wind) so I hopped over the fence and landed in the big field. I landed with next to no brake as I thought a bit of rotor was to be expected (and found) but the landing was good. 
    A 1H 30 Min walk back to take off at Kimmeridge was worth it to have achieved another goal. Getting to St Aldhelms was pretty easy. To get back would need a lot more south. SSW rather than SW I reckon.

Report from Dave Daniels

    Returning from a trip to Salisbury to collect an interesting hoard of old hang-gliding magazines from an ex Wessex member I went by Bulbarrow to see how Sean L and Nicole B were getting on. On arriving, they were building height in weak thermals some 500ft ato, and Michael C was scratching the slope having missed the thermal.

DSCN1484.jpg (34049 bytes)

    Dave M arrived as Sean started to make a concerted effort to go XC and at the same time Nicole found sink and landed only a couple of k behind the ridge. Sean went on to make Salisbury - but not quite breaking Dave M's record - a fact about which he showed great relief when they met up later at Ringstead. (This time he flew to the edge of his map. Running out of excuses Sean! DD)
    Gary P, Neil H and Andy D arrived just as high level tightly packed cumulo-stratus shut the sun off and, by the time I left for Ringstead, had made little height.
    Arriving at Ringstead there were hangies and paragliders in the air over White Nothe in fresh winds (from the paraglider view-point). Many people made the cliffs, some several times, and a couple didn't quite make the cliffs or the return.
    Most impressive flight of the day was by Rob P who, at the second attempt, performed one of the cleanest launches in the strong conditions, cleared the cliffs quite low and then failed to keep in close enough to find lift and vanished from sight below the cliffs for over 10 minutes before re-emerging and completing a long flight over White Nothe and returning for a tidy top landing much later.
    Michael C spent most of the afternoon climbing as high as possible (which was quite high in the wave from Portland) and spiralling back down again.
    Long absent member Nigel S put in an appearance and borrowed a wing to perform on of his usually immaculate crossings to the cliff. A year without flying - let alone at Ringstead - had not affected his skills here!
    Others paragliders out to the cliff included Alan T (nice flight out, Alan!), Russell W, Dave M, Jeremy M, Jerry S, John P, Jonathan H, ZZ, Gary M, Grant O, John R, Peter R and James M.
    Hangies that I recognised included ZZ and Ron Smith.

Sunday 26th May 2003

Photos from Neil Kermode

Kimmeridge4.jpg (50259 bytes) Kimmeridge5.jpg (39860 bytes) Kimmeridge6.jpg (53632 bytes)
Paragliders at Kimmeridge

Report from Neil Weymouth

    Had an excellent afternoon's flying at Sennen Cove, Cornwall. Very scenic site nearly at Land's End, easy TO and landing in top car park, W-NNW.

Report from Dave Daniels

    A record breaking mass para-wait was the main feature of Bell Hill for most of the day - some 30 cars at one point - albeit that these included the several hangies participating in the much postponed Wessex v SkySurfers "Barnet Dignand Trophy" competition. (Last I heard Wessex were in the lead!).
    Dave Moores flew the tandem for a very brief period when the winds had slackened a little - but spent most of the rest of the afternoon acting as retrieve driver for the hangies. Three got away, Duncan Edwards to somewhere near Poole Harbour, ZZ to Winterborne Stickland and a SkySurfer somewhere in between.
    Eventually - and I mean around 7:30 - the wind slackened enough for the remaining paragliders to do some gale hanging - including myself, Grant O, Dave M, Stuart M, ZZ, Martin B and Alan B.

Saturday 24th May 2003

Report from RW

    Early morning start at 0845hrs on the hill at Ringstead & flyable. 
    Ring round & tell colleagues. Allie flying at Kimmeridge from 0700hrs ( Sad or devoted?)
(Pots and Kettles? DD)  
    Gaz M & Stuart M arrive & soar out to cliffs & return - have a go for the first time and get dumped at White Nothe for going round too far! ZZ, a gentleman of the first order, lands to stop me getting into any further difficulties and suffers the walk back. (I owe you one & thanks mate.) 
    Back to take off and Sean L & Nix arrive, as does Allie F & James T. We all go out to cliffs and have a wonderful time. Dark cloud threatens & one of us manages to stay dry.

Saturday 17th to Friday 23rd May 2003

Report from Dave Daniels

    Third time in Bassano delivers the best of three magnificent weeks there! Central Italy last month was good - but the weather was not the best, but I LOVED the terrain there. Hmmm - which to do again next year?
    Bob Drury had brought along a Vibe ML for me to try - reckoned I'd find it better than the Electron. Day 1 - I Liked it! Taking off at 2,900ft amsl and climbing almost instantly to 5,900!ft. Time to take a photo - and "Whooomph!" - full frontal that was out so quick I never saw it but only felt the jolt as risers and harness almost instantly tensed up. That's the stitching in the new wing checked, I thought. Photography did take a back seat after that. In any case - a picture can say a thousand words - but it cannot convey the sound of a screaming vario. I got down and thought "Hmm - a little rough - but I was enjoying it" only to hear Bob say that he thought it was a tad rough. So the wing works well!
    Day 2 was better - thermals better developed - cloud-base higher. Bob and the lead group went on ahead after I failed to hook into the the lift before the big valley crossing north of Bassano - and Kenton bringing up the rear was further behind  - so for the next hour I was "doing my own thing" and having fun. "Joined up thermals" at last! Several of them. Multiple climbs to cloud base. 11 ups! (Wow! Falsetto Vario sounds!) Sharing 11 ups with Indy and Sally on the tandem! Cannot wait to see the video Sally took!  Alas - all good things come to an end, the wind strengthening and the lift decreasing. I managed to find the "Valley of Doom" - an enclosed bowl with wind ooting through the opening and the worlds biggest cat's-cradle of power cables and telephone lines. "Trees are better than cables" kept going through my mind, and as poor options ran out, even less exciting options replaced them, resulting in a tight 360 and wingover into the only minute gap left available expecting to catch the wing on some 15ft tall poles ....... then LANDED. And then "Oh bugger"!, the wing has overflown one of the poles. To heavy to pull out of the ground and too high to find a stick to prod the lines over, I was expecting to have to de-rig the As, Bs and Cs on one side of the wing to get it out. Determined I shook the pole one more time hoping to be able to loosen it and lift it out. No joy - and then ... a cracking sound and I realise the wood in the ground is rotten. One heave - and the wing is free! 12km out and third the way back.

Untitled-1.gif (44768 bytes)

    Day 3 - Feltre valley - A nice day, t/o at 4,600ft, but I had to land soon. I realised on Day 2 that I sit up too straight (especially when "something unexpected happens") and concentrated on laying back in the harness more. Result - several hundred sit-ups for a body out of training - and therefore severe pain on day 3. Hey - still managed a blast off t/o to cloud-base at some 7,000ft and 11.5km!

DSCN1463.jpg (90479 bytes) DSCN1462.jpg (88765 bytes)
DSCN1466.jpg (151046 bytes) DSCN1469.jpg (145461 bytes)
Massive Dolomite scenery!

    Day 4 - rain - thunder - lightning - beer - food - beer - bree - bear - hic - dancing - silly!
    Day 5 - Almost flyable - audible sighs of relief after an hour of sitting atop Monte Grappa when it was decided that it was not! Less food - 2 glasses of wine - early to bed.

DSCN1461.jpg (68783 bytes)

Actually a fake pic - sat on launch with my feet in the air.
A touch of wishful thinking.

    Day 6 - Para-waiting day!  Everything was in place for a great day - until the high level cloud slid in from the north and shut everything down. Top-to-bottom time!
    Day 7 - Feltre Valley - again high level cloud, but a break in it had an Italian National comp off in a flurry of wings that played kaleidoscope images in the mind watching them thermal above t/o into the blue sky.

DSCN1475.jpg (167475 bytes)

    We launched soon after - some stonking thermals that I took to cloudbase, and found a thermal in the valley just before bombing out that had every man and his wing headed my way for a piece of the action.
    A rush to the plane and hours of chasing Easyjet to find my paraglider bag (with two wings in it!) followed.
    I love Bassano!  See you there next year again, Bob! 

Wednesday 21st May 2003

Report from Alastair Florence

    The early bird catches the worm (or at least gets to go flying for a bit!).
    The forecast I looked at seemed to show today as the only possibly flyable day of the week. Sure enough as I ate breakfast it didn't look to bad out the window. I decided to go to the office via Kimmeridge as its almost on route
(I'm surprised you've not found a route to the office via Annecy, St Hilaire and St André! DD).
    On arrival just after 0700hrs there was a bit a bit of a haze over Portland which did not look that promising. The wind was fairly fresh but quite flyable and a little Westerly. I launched off the Kingston site and found the air a little turbulent. Out toward Swyre Head the air was much smoother and quite lifty. I had a pleasant 3/4 hours flying, the wind seemed to be picking up so I landed and headed of to work. Back in the office by 0845hrs the weather just got worse with strengthening wind, rain, low cloud, and stronger wind. I was glad I made the effort early.

Thursday 15th May 2003

Report from Sean Lovatt

    Arrived White Horse at about 11.15 am - good cloud out in front growing over Weymouth, launched straight into nice thermal and drifted over the back at 900 ft ato, worked zeros and ones above the quarry about 2 km downwind eventually reached base at 2900 ft and glided to Puddletown with about 1000 ft.
    Worked weak lift back to base, but monster sink (8 down) and no speed bar (flying new harness) put me down near the Milton Arms, Winterborne Whitechurch - 18.8 km.

........ for a new site record!!!!!  Congrats!   DD

Sunday 11th May 2003

Report from Craig Byrne

    At Barton today, Kate Hardacre managed her first tandem flight today and was a star passenger! 
    We flew down to the golf course back past girlie take off and finished of with BIG wingovers (Swoopies as Emily calls them) only landing on the beach as the wind increased.
    The wind then dropped once we had walked back up to take off and then Dave M & Jamie, Peter R & Lawrence had a nice short flight before the drizzle came stopping play. 
    We headed off to the pub to celebrate Kate's first tandem flight and I later heard that they flew all afternoon at Bournemouth once the rain had cleared.

DSCF0001.JPG (89420 bytes) DSCF0014.jpg (91723 bytes)
Craig, Emily and (I assume) Kate Swoopies!

Sunday 11th May 2003

Report from Dave Daniels

    The early rain cleared to give some interesting flying in southerlies at Ringstead. Why Ringstead in Southerlies? Because all the forecasts that the assembled hopefuls had seen indicated that it was going SW any moment!
    The air from the cliffs was a tad bumpy, and reaching the cliffs on paragliders in southerlies is difficult ... to impossible - as Gavin W discovered.
    Alastair F, Sean S, Adrian B, Gavin W and friend Neil, Russell W and Grant O all flew for varying spells.
    The arrival of the aero-modellers made the ridge impractical and the continued southerlies had a convoy heading to White Horse.
    There was little ridge lift initially (again, Gavin can vouch for this), but as soon as a little sun penetrated there were patchy weak thermals to stay up on. A band of low cloud came in and had anyone in the air "touching cloudbase" (or should that be "obscured by cloudbase"?) bringing all but Sean S down from the sky.
    Robert S arrived with his brother as tandem passenger and had a few flights until the passage of another band of cloud left the wind some 60degrees off to the west and significantly strengthened.
    Also in attendance here were James M, Niki H, Dave T and Alan T.
    Gavin W and Neil went off to Ringstead again - despite the cloud smothering the site - on the basis that (a) Neil's car was still there, (b) the wind was now WSW (c) the sky to the SW was looking clearer and (d) what the thell.
    They managed to get to Ringstead just as it cleared and were out on the cliffs before the waiting hangies could join them. John A also flew his paraglider to the cliffs. Apparently the wind on the cliffs was WSW and quite strong, making the return journey from White Nothe a bit slow. Sean S made the cliffs and back a little later and declined the trip to White Nothe on the basis that the return was now impossible.
    Hangies John A, Richard M and Ron S - along with Colin from Avon then took over the cliffs for the rest of the late afternoon and early evening.

Saturday 3rd / Sunday 11th May 2003

Report from Alastair Florence

    With the help of a quiet spell at work (the others were busy spells? DD) I seem to have got several hours hours flying over the last few days........(space for the inevitable editorial comment) (couldn't wait that long! DD)  
    3rd was an excellent evening flight at Durdle Door,  5th Kimmeridge - both as detailed by DD previous. 
    6th I was amongst half of the club (who often seem not to work as well) for a great day at Bell with plenty of opportunity to practice climbing in thermals and brushing up on etiquette. 
    7th a brief lunchtime scratching session at Kimmeridge (office is only 10 mins away!).
    8th and 9th back to Bell. 
    11th Arrived at Kimmeridge at 07.30 to see a band of rain closing in across the sea, that soon passed and conditions looked good so I had a 1/2 hour in the air whilst other got themselves organised. The wind was off to the South a bit so met up with David D and others at Ringstead and then on to White Horse. 
    I had hoped to make it 4 sites in a day by flying at Knitson in the evening but the wind went West and a bit strong - also my wife had other ideas for me (domestic stuff).
    I would just like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has, and continues to offer help and guidance to me and other new members. It really is great to be involved in a sport where most people are so helpful to each other.
(If you keep flying at the top of the stack - prepare to distrust the advice! DD)

Friday 9th May 2003

Report from Adrian Leppard

    So there I was on Wednesday evening, the day after the 'epic Tuesday' when it seemed everyone and their hound managed to fly XC. Well everyone except for people like me who were stuck behind their desk at work. Lo and behold Weatherjack showed a 4 rating for Friday. I couldn't miss it again so cancelled some meetings and arrived at Oliver's Castle near Devizes at about 11am that morning. Five or six pilots on site and a couple in the air, including Adrian Thomas and Tim Guildford. Olivers is a westerly Thames Valley site for XC only. It is small, there's little room for soaring. You really need to hook a thermal and go. 
    Launched with all the others about 30 minutes later and bumbled about playing dodgems in weak thermals for about 20 minutes until a stomper came through taking most of the airborne pilots with it. Climbed out in a fairly constant thermal just in time to see Mike Bretherton, Adrian Bishop and others arriving in the car park. Felt so sorry to hear that the site was blown out from that moment for the rest of the day, as it was a corker in the air.
    Reached cloud-base on the same thermal at about 3500' and was instantly glad I had dressed appropriately with Alpine gloves, thick fleece and balaclava. (I do feel the cold). It was at this point I was also glad I had replaced all batteries the night before and studied the air-map for 60k east of Olivers. (A new site for me).
    Once away from the hill I stayed at base for as long as I could, knowing that I was drifting about 10 - 20k ave with the cloud. I saw a couple of others run downwind and bomb... I've done that too many times myself. I waited till I saw a DEFINITE thermal ahead before running for it. Drifted over Milk and Tan Hills and then had a couple of speed bar runs over Burbage reaching 60+kph ground speed where I dropped from 1500m to about 700m before catching a couple more thermals. Picked up a screamer somewhere near Buttermere and another above Combe. From there I never left base just hanging around in the wisp stuff drifting ahead of the cloud and back underneath again. 
    Problem came when I had to negotiate Basingstoke at the same time as running out of 'folded' airmap!. I saw the MATZ, knew that I could technically go over it (I had 4000' plus still at that stage but was concerned about the level of aircraft activity (there were helicopters, sailplanes and light aircraft all over the place) and flying over such a big town. Made a foolish decision to head south (REGARDLESS OF THE LIFT) and did nothing but lose height. Equally foolish not to turn back and find the lift again which I had done several times that flight. Back to basics..... NEVER LEAVE THE LIFT. 
    On reflection I think I should have gone north , trying to skirt Reading heading for High Wycombe. That’s what Adrian Thomas did that day and he made 109k. I knew the clouds looked better in that direction but I still went south. Mistake. More learning.. Still, landed safe in a farm field at Steventon just south west of Basingstoke about 2 hours 15 mins after launch. 
    57.5km was my own UK best and I consumed much alcohol in celebration that evening. Although I don't think I did anything special, at least half a dozen got away from Olivers that day with several going further than me. It was just a good day. A big thank you to Mike Bretherton who drove the hour each way to retrieve me and also to Adrian Bishop, Dom and Simon who waited for me also.
(Congrats! And that places you - for the moment - 58th in the National XC League! DD)

Friday 9th May 2003

Report from RW

    Weather forecasts! What weather forecasts? They said "West"!.
    Got a call from Sean L to say it was flyable - en route saw 2 wings south west of Bell and offered Adrian C a lift from Melcombe Bingham.
    On arrival - 3 wings in the air but several cars. Some had got away and others arrived from Cowdown. Lots of thermals at intervals, some a little strong at times.
    Came down for some lunch and saw Dave M and Sean L got away to Verwood. Missed it again!

Thursday 8th May 2003

Report from RW

    A call from the "Guru" Dave Moores to say it was on at Bell had myself & several others scuttling all other activities to head to the hill. 
    As I arrived there were 4 wings in the air approx 200' ATO, not to last but it looked hopeful. 
    As the day wore on "blooby" ( Dave's terminology) thermals came through and we wended skywards for short, but enjoyable, flights. At one point a buzzard became territorial, interesting to watch and left me in awe at its flying ability. Ohh! to dream. 
    Gathered were Dave M, Pete ( Monkey), Ian O, Grant (Bootneck), Gaz M, David ?, & a guy with a red helmet (sorry!).

Wednesday 7th May 2003

Report from RW

    After a stonking day at Bell yesterday I thought I might go out to Ringstead & do some ground handling. I got the binoculars out and spied two wings over the cliffs.
    I got to Ringstead 30 mins later & watched John (from Southampton) disappearing from sight towards the beach.
    I planted the new windsock which showed it was very light but nonetheless on the hill. Two lonesome figures were wending there way up from the beach, so I thought ground handling it is!!! 
    Dave M phoned for an update as did Alli F an hour later Dave M arrived with Pete & Rory as well as Stuart M & Martin F. Talk about hopeful!
    Lots of slope landings & some at the bottom. A very beautiful day but no spectacular flying, such a shame.

Tuesday 6th May 2003

Report from Tony Moore

    Had a cracking flight from Bell!
    It started off with a scrappy 30 minutes on the ridge and when I finally connected with something, weak as it was, I decided that I didn't want to go back to the hill so stayed with it.
    I've never left a hill so low before. I was joined by Neil Hutchison and together we marked the lift and drifted downwind climbing ever so slowly. We topped out and flew to a weakish looking cloud that seemed to work well, finally getting close to base about 20K from Bell. 
    Eventually North of Wareham we went our separate ways, Neil taking a more easterly track and I was left speeding to a good looking cloud over Wareham, going down fast. I got there with 1200' and climbed up to base at 4k, having lost sight of Neil. 
    Then it was a glide over Corfe Castle, picking up bits of lift in the "curtain cloud" when I spotted Neil again, He was over the Ballard down ridge, high. We both headed to Durlston Head, he arrived before me but with more height and we landed within a minute of each other. 
    A fantastic flight, and the bonus was Mrs Neil collecting us and taking us back to the hill!

dscf0036.jpg (124282 bytes) dscf0038.jpg (130011 bytes)
Poole Harbour Swanage
Photos taken by Neil Hutchison

(Sounds like Jacek is going to be busy logging XCs in the Wessex leagues!  Don't forget to email him the details! jacek.generowicz@cern.ch DD) 

Report from Adrian Bishop

    What a day! 
    Flew from Bell 14.5 k to the cricket field at Bere Regis. 
    Superb and FUN flying. Where where you?
(Working! DD).

    (Actually - I hear that large numbers were at, and getting away from, Bell Hill. DD)

Eye in the Sky - April 2003 - Part 1
>Eye in the Sky - April 2003
>Eye in the Sky - March 2003 - II
Eye in the Sky - March 2003 - I
Eye in the Sky - February 2003
Eye in the Sky - January 2003
Eye in the Sky - November/December 2002
Eye in the Sky - October 2002
Eye in the Sky - September 2002
Eye in the Sky - August 2002 - Part 2
Eye in the Sky - August 2002 - Part 1
Eye in the Sky - July 2002 - Part 2
Eye in the Sky - July 2002 - Part 1
Eye in the Sky - June 2002 - Part 3
Eye in the Sky - June 2002 - Part 2
Eye in the Sky - June 2002 - Part 1
Eye in the Sky - May 2002
Eye in the Sky - April 2002 - Part 2
Eye in the Sky - April 2002 - Part 1
Eye in the Sky - March 2002
Eye in the Sky - 2001 and before